International Trade Matters Ltd

ATA Carnets Q&A

Questions about ATA Carnets?

Here’s a few common queries answered by specialist Odette Barnes. To find out more, contact us today.

Need help? For all your temporary import requirements, International Trade Matters provides a comprehensive ATA Carnet Service

Do I Need to Make A Customs Declaration When Using An ATA Carnet?

If the goods are hand carried then no separate Customs Declaration is usually required (other than presenting the Carnet to HMRC + foreign Customs).
– If the goods are freighted and are bound for an “inventory linked” port or airport they may need to be included on an Import and export: customs clearance request (C21) form using code: CPC 10 00 041 for exports and CPC 00 080 20 for re-imports.
– If the goods are being sent to a non-inventory port or airport you may need to complete an Import and export: presentation of goods for export (arrival) (C1601) form.

If I am travelling through the EU to get to my non-EU destination should I get transit vouchers for each EU country?

You only need to apply for 1 set for each entry and exit out of the EU as a bloc. It is anticipated that you should apply for the importation / re-exportation vouchers rather than transit vouchers which come under separate rules and regulations to avoid potential problems at customs points.

I am travelling to Northern Ireland in 2021 will I need a carnet?

No ATA Carnets will not be required for movement of UK goods between Northern Ireland and GB.

How long is it valid for and how many times can it be used?

An ATA Carnet is valid for up to one year and allows for movement of the goods shown on the Carnet and can be used multiple times during the 12 months to any of the destinations applied for.

What is the purpose for taking a security?

As the guaranteeing association, the London Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) is required to take security to cover any customs claim that might result from an improperly used carnet. The Compliance Fee calculated at the time you apply for a carnet will ensure you are compliant with the LCCI security requirements.

Can I amend a carnet?

Once a carnet is issued, the General List (the list of goods or equipment) can never be amended. However, split shipments are possible if the certificates are properly marked. Additional certificates are also available if more trips are planned than originally anticipated. The carnet can also be used for additional countries that were not identified at the time the carnet was issued.

Can a Carnet be Extended?

Technically, a carnet cannot be extended beyond the expiration date. However, in some instances foreign customs may allow a replacement carnet to be issued to extend the time the goods are in the carnet country. In all cases, the replacement carnet must be applied for prior to the expiration of the original carnet.

What Goods Can Be Listed on a Carnet?

• Commercial Samples
• Professional Equipment
• Goods for Exhibitions (limited to 6 months)
Perishable and consumable items (such as agricultural products), explosives, disposable goods and goods which are posted cannot travel under an ATA Carnet.

How might a claim come about?

• Some circumstances under which a claim will be filed:
• Goods are not re-exported within one year.
• Carnet certificates are not properly validated by customs inspectors on the way into or out of the U.K. or a foreign country.
Improper or inadequate description of merchandise on the General List.

Which other countries do I need an ATA Carnet?

Should your travel extend globally, here is a quick reference list to all participating countries, accurate as of March 2021. Soon to be accepting carnets: Saudi Arabia and the Philippines.

Countries participating in ATA Carnets:

  • Albania
  • Algeria
  • Andorra
  • Antarctica
  • Aruba
  • Australia
  • Austria*
  • Azores (Portugal)
  • Bahrain, Kingdom of
  • Balearic Islands (see Spain)
  • Belarus
  • Belgium*
  • Bosnia & Herzegovina
  • Botswana
  • Brazil
  • Bulgaria*
  • Canada
  • Canary Islands
  • Ceuta
  • Chile
  • China
  • Corsica (France)
  • Cote d’Ivoire
  • Croatia*
  • Curacao
  • Cyprus*
  • Czech Republic*
  • Denmark*
  • Estonia*
  • European Union
  • Faroe Islands (Denmark)
  • Finland*
  • France*
  • French Guiana
  • French Polynesia – Tahiti
  • Germany*
  • Gibraltar
  • Greece*
  • Greenland (Denmark)
  • Guadeloupe (France)
  • Guam
  • Guernsey (United Kingdom)
  • Hong Kong
  • Hungary*
  • Iceland
  • India
  • Indonesia
  • Iran
  • Ireland*
  • Isle of Man (United Kingdom)
  • Israel
  • Italy*
  • Ivory Coast see Cote d’Ivoire
  • Japan
  • Jersey (United Kingdom)
  • Kazakhstan
  • Latvia*
  • Lebanon
  • Lesotho (SACU)
  • Liechtenstein (Admin by Switzerland)
  • Lithuania*
  • Luxembourg*
  • Macao, China
  • Macedonia
  • Madagascar
  • Madeira (Portugal)
  • Malaysia
  • Malta*
  • Martinique
  • Mauritius
  • Mayotte (France)
  • Melilla (Spain)
  • Mexico
  • Miquelon (France)
  • Moldova
  • Monaco (Admin by France)
  • Mongolia
  • Montenegro
  • Morocco
  • Namibia (SACU)
  • Netherlands*New Caledonia (France)
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Pakistan
  • Poland*
  • Portugal*
  • Puerto Rico (USA)
  • Qatar
  • Reunion Island (France)
  • Romania*
  • Russia
  • Saipan
  • Senegal
  • Serbia
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia*
  • Slovenia*
  • South Africa
  • South Korea
  • Spain*
  • Sri Lanka
  • St. Barthelemy (France)
  • St. Martin/Sint Maarten
  • St. Pierre (France)
  • Swaziland (SACU)
  • Sweden*
  • Switzerland
  • Tahiti (France)
  • Taiwan**
  • Tasmania (Australia)
  • Thailand
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine
  • United Arab Emirates
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
  • Wallis & Futuna (France)

SACU = Southern African Customs Union

*part of the European Union (EU)No carnet is necessary for traveling between EU countries. If goods are properly imported into one EU carnet country and re-exported from a second EU carnet country, the Carnet holder is unlikely to encounter any claims fees.

** Taiwan requires a separate and exclusive carnet called a EC-CPD-China-Taiwan-carnet. If your itinerary includes other Carnet countries, you will also need to apply for an ATA Carnet.

International Trade Matters provides a full ATA Carnet service to ensure the whole process is completed as smoothly as possible. Contact the team today to find out more!

    I have read and understand theprivacy policy and terms & conditions